Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2016

Brunswick County Media Release

For immediate release: 10/13/2016
Contact: Amanda Hutcheson, 910-253-5383
[email protected]

Mandatory water conservation measures in place in Brunswick County

Bolivia, NC – Residents in all areas of Brunswick County are required to take steps to decrease water usage, effective immediately, following damage to a water line.

The raw water main owned by the Lower Cape Fear Water and Sewer Authority that carries raw water from the Kings Bluff Raw Water Pump Station to the County-owned Northwest Water Treatment Plant and others broke Thursday, resulting in flooding in the area near the main break. Crews had to temporarily shut down pumps at Kings Bluff in order to stop the leak and lower the water level, in order to be able access the break determine the cause of the pipe failure. During the period while the repairs are underway, the pumps will need to be shut down to allow crews to access the break and perform repairs, which may take several days.

While Brunswick County Public Utilities has taken steps to minimize the impact that shutting down the pumps will have, including opening pumps connecting to other water utility providers through mutual aid agreements, all residents are required to take steps to conserve water until repairs are completed and the pumps can be restarted

Outdoor irrigation and car washing are banned. This includes watering lawns, grass, shrubbery, trees and flowers. Restaurants may only serve non-bottled (tap) water to patrons upon request. First offenses for violations may results in a written warning, while second offenses will result in a $100 fine, third offenses will result in a $300 fine, and fourth offenses will result in disconnection of water service. 

Residents are also encouraged to take additional measures to reduce water consumption, such as taking showers instead of baths and only running full loads in dishwashers or washing machines.

Residents will be notified when repairs are complete and restrictions are no longer required. Residents who have questions should contact 910-253-5383.


You might also like...