March 2, 2023 News Story: Brunswick County Tax Department 2023 Property Tax Revaluations
Many of you have, or will be receiving the 2023 Property Tax Revaluations from the Brunswick County Tax Department. The 2023 Property Tax Revaluations are countywide and are prepared by the Brunswick County Tax Department. If you have questions, or would like additional information regarding the revaluation, please visit www.brunswickcountync.gov or call (910)253-2811.
Town of Ocean Isle Beach Property Tax Information
1) DUE DATE: Annual property tax bills (taxes levied on real estate, business personal property, and individually owned personal property) are due on September 1 and past due after January 5. Taxes must be paid before the past due date to avoid interest charges. Payments received by mail are deemed received based on the date shown on postmarks assigned only by the U.S. Postal Service. It is to your advantage to mail your payment several days in advance of the past due date.
The ownership, valuation, and taxability of property are determined annually as of January 1.
2) INSTALLMENTS: Partial payment plans are offered as a courtesy to taxpayers for a short term solution to a financial hardship. For more information on partial payment plans, contact the Tax Collector’s office at (910) 579-2166.
3) ESCROW/MORTGAGE ACCOUNTS: Many lending institutions/mortgage service companies request tax bills for payment. This office is not responsible for any failure of the lender/service company to pay taxes. It is the property owner’s obligation to ensure the timely payment of taxes. If funds are held in escrow to pay this bill, please forward the bill to the appropriate mortgage holder and assure your bill is paid promptly by your lender.
4) TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP OF REAL PROPERTY: It is the responsibility of the owner as of January 1 to ensure taxes levied on real property are paid in full. The Tax Collector’s Office has no involvement in proration agreements between buyers and sellers. It is not uncommon for current year taxes to be prorated at the time of the sale. In most cases the seller’s prorated share of taxes are distributed to the buyer at the closing. Prepayments on taxes are accepted. Proration agreements between buyers and sellers do not supersede the responsibility of the January 1 owner to see that the taxes are paid.
5) INTEREST: Interest on past due balances is 2% for January (beginning after January 5) and ¾ of a percent per month thereafter. Enforcement measures will begin immediately after the bill is past due. There are no provisions in the law to adjust or waive interest.
6) FAILURE TO PAY: Enforcement measures can include but are not limited to attachment of wages and bank accounts, levy on personal property, submission to NC Debt Setoff program, and foreclosure.
7) BANKRUPTCIES/CLOSINGS: North Carolina law requires that you notify the Tax Collector’s office if you are filing for bankruptcy or going out of business.
8) ADDRESSES: Mailing address: Town of Ocean Isle Beach Tax Collector, 111 Causeway Drive, Ocean Isle Beach, NC 28469. Please enclose the bill with payment and mark if you want a receipt.
Returned Check Fee = $25.00 or 10% of the amount of check
(whichever is greater)
If you have any questions, please contact our office at 910-579-2166 or email [email protected]