Michael Walker (Tych & Walker Architects, LLP) presented a revised conceptual design for the proposed OIB Community Center/Public Safety Annex (3 W. Third Street) at the March 23, 2023 Budget Workshop.
The Board conducted a Public Input Session on Monday, April 10, 2023 at 5pm in the Town Meeting Hall at 111 Causeway Drive where Mr. Walker presented the conceptual design and additional information regarding the project. The information below was made available to the public for review on Wednesday, March 29, 2023 via Town media (website, Facebook, and e-notifications). The public was invited to ask questions and submit comments.
Please use the links below for renderings of conceptual design.
Helpful Design FAQS
- Total size = 10,400 sq/ft
- 58 parking spaces
- 2,400 sq/ft multi-purpose space (can be sectioned off into 3 x 800 sq/ft areas)
- For comparison purposes the size of the Meeting Room at New Town Hall is 1600 Sq Ft
- Examples of proposed uses include (but not limited to):
- Fitness Classes
- Community HOA/POA Meetings
- Community Potlucks/Gatherings
- Educational Seminars
- Turtle Talks
- Senior Resource Programs
- 3 smaller meeting rooms (can also be used for recreational activities/arts & craft/card games/etc.)
- 3 offices (approx. 200sq/ft per office)
- Small serving kitchen (approx. 200 sq/ft)
- On-island staging area/bunk rooms for emergency response during weather events
- Apparatus bay with drive-through access for expedited response times
- Storage for:
- Beach Patrol ATVs
- OIBFD water rescue apparatus
- Recreation Department equipment/supplies
- Beach Wheelchairs
The architect provided additional data regarding the costs associated with rehabilitation of the existing structure vs. construction of a new building. Current cost projections indicate the rehabilitation costs are higher than the cost of constructing a new facility. Total estimated cost for the rehabilitation of the old building (excluding any unforeseen issue that may arise) is between $4,400,000 - $4,500,000. The estimated cost for construction of a new facility is $4,325,000 which includes demolition of the existing building and creation of parking spaces.
We encourage you to contact Town Staff 579-2166 (ext. 1107) with any questions you may have.
At the April 11, 2023 Board of Commissioners Meeting, the Board voted unanimously to direct Town Staff to proceed with acquiring design/specifications for the project.
The proposed timeline for the project includes 6-8 months for engineering and 12-14 months for construction. Additional information will be provided regarding project timeline as it becomes available.